- To work with hospitals to distribute care packages, full of helpful information, to new parents the will be leaving the hospital without their baby.
- To strengthen the grieving parents existing support network of family and friends by providing resources that explain how they can help their loved ones through this difficult time.
- To educate care providers on the impact of their words and actions when a baby dies.
- To build a nationwide support system for the grieving parents and their families.
- That our babies matter AND deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
- That a strong network of friends and family is crucial to the grieving process AND in order to be good support they need to be supported too.
- That the mother’s care provide holds a sacred role in the grieving process AND should take that responsibility very seriously.
- That we are strong and we will make it through this season – even though some days we may feel like the world is crumbling around us.
Thank you so much for your interest in this project! It is our goal to provide these very special quilt sets to hospitals as they are requested.
It is really easy to get involved. We are not looking for completed quilts – just flimsy’s (aka quilt tops). We will be cutting the tops, into our special heart shaped pattern then backing with fleece, machine quilting, and binding. When completed there will be two small 8″x10″ hearts (for loved ones to always keep near) and one large heart shaped quilt to use as swaddling blanket for baby.
Please join our quilters group on facebook, we plan to extend monthly themed challenges aimed at scrap busting. You can choose to participate in the challenge or you can just make whatever you like. Either way come join us at Expected Hugs Quilters!!
We only have a few rules that we ask you to follow.
QUILT TOP DONATION RULES
– Size: tops should be at least 30″ x 26″
– We prefer tops to be gender neutral (but it is not required).
– You must include an extra 1″ square (or scrap big enough to cut a 1″ square) of each fabric you use so we can add them to the main Expected Hugs quilt project.
– Choose your own pattern (we aren’t picky) and have fun!
By choosing to participate in this project you will be helping us bring light to families going through a very dark time. You will become a part of these families journey’s as you pour your heart into each top you sew. If you would like, you may include a note to the family with each quilt top you donate. It is our goal to let them know that their baby will always be remembered.
Please mail your finished quilt tops to:
P.O. Box 429 Cool, CA 95614
We are creating a postage stamp quilt in memory of the 26,000+ babies born sleeping every year in the USA. It will be made up of 365 block – each made with 72 tiny 1″ squares. 71 to represent the number of stillborn babies born daily (no two fabrics will be the same) + 1 to represent hope.
There are a few ways you can help.
SHARING: We want this project to reach as many people as possible. We want to encourage friends and family to keep talking about these special babies. Grieving parents need to know that their babies will always be remembered.
DEDICATIONS: If you would like to have a block dedicated to your sweet stillborn baby please message the page. Please include their name, birthday, and anything else you would like us to know. We would love to honor them and you by sewing a block in their memory.
FABRIC DONATIONS: If you are a quilter and would like to contribute to this project (tiny one inch 100% quilting cotton scraps are all we need) please mail scrap fabric to:
P.O. Box 429 Cool, CA 95614